26 July 2015

Coping with 'old age'.

We spoke a lot about formation of the young when I myself was young. I thought the Youth phase of life was the challenging. Judging now from my own difficulties of coping with the problems of a 70 plus, I realize "old age'  brings us to an even more difficult phase of life and calls for formation of the whole self in order to arrive at a mature and graceful life of peace and contentment. Formation or no formation, I have certainly encountered and admired quite a few men and women, priests and religious in their advanced years who live the 'old age phase' so gracefully. But I have also come across cranky and bitter elders who are very difficult to please and live with. 
Now that I am already in this phase of 'old age', I realise the need for some spiritual and mental formation to understand that there is something new to learn in this phase which is far beyond the experiences of youth and middle age. I mean, I need to attend a course of "formation to Old age". Any such course being offered?

No comments:

Post a Comment